Friday, January 6, 2017

Week in the MTC

I had such a marvelous weekend with family and some friends I was able to visit.  Friday night we had a get together at Ralph's (my oldest brother)'s house, which several of the children and grandchildren came to, along with Mont and Eileen, and a number of nieces and their families - so good to see them all.  Then Sunday night we had a special dinner and family home evening at Brad's house - especially loved the grandchildren singing and the great advice from those who had served missions.  What a wonderful spirit and send off for my mission!  Then the boys gave me a beautiful blessing to help me through the mission - I appreciated it so much!! Stacie, Maurie, Daylen, and Brad, and their families were all there - 26 of us in all.  It was really terrific, and the grandchildren had so much fun with their cousins!  Then Monday morning Maurie's family, Stacie and Bradley all took me to the MTC to drop me off at the curb and give me one last hug!  So great!  Although I will see Brad's family again on Friday, then Stacie's family next Saturday in Virginia.

Now today is my last day in the MTC.  I feel a little overwhelmed at all there is for us "senior missionaries" (there are about 60 of us here this week) to learn!  It has been exciting learning how to use technology, our ipads and phones, to find scriptures quickly, then add pictures, videos, conference talks, etc. to teach lessons, give talks, etc.  It is exhilarating to see all the young missionaries and their enthusiasm and eagerness, and they are always willing to help us any way they can!  I have seen Sister Fiso twice and she is so  excited!

I have a very nice companion, Sister Marta Brown, from West Jordan, Utah.  Her husband passed away 4 years ago from a stroke the week he had it, and she has been working at the Jordan River Temple until it was closed for renovation.  She is easy to be around and comfortable to be with.

We had a wonderful devotional Tuesday night with Sister Bonnie Oscarson speaking - marvelous!  Then Wednesday night (since my car hadn't been picked up to be shipped), we went to the Provo City temple with a number of other senior missionaries.  It was a beautiful experience, especially since it has been just one year since DeLos passed away.  So glad I could go to the temple!  Last night my sister, Charlene, came down from SLC and we were able to go to dinner at Olive Garden.  It was nice to see her and have a chance to visit.

Everything is going well, in some ways I hate to leave here and the wonderful spirit that is here in abundance, but in other ways, I am ready to head out on my new adventure - prepared or not!  So Washington, here I come!!

2 comments:

  1. We are so excited for you! Glad you are having such s great experience. We are thinking about you and have your picture up where we can see it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Mom! I think you should add the photo of the MTC map.

    ReplyDelete